Lion Art Reimer, K-W Community Spirit Lions Club

A place for Lions to leave messages and record information for Lions who have passed. Feel free to add your reminiscences and extra information.
Forum rules
Please only post replies to existing topics - do not create new memorial topics for a new individual (i.e. Do not use the "NEWTOPIC" button).
tdr-a15
Site Admin

Lion Art Reimer, K-W Community Spirit Lions Club

Post by tdr-a15 »

August 20, 2020
Picture of Lion Art Reimer /></div></body></html>

Passed away peacefully on August 20, 2020 at Innisfree House after a courageous battle with congestive heart failure and kidney cancer.
Survived by his loving wife of 52 years, Sharon Elizabeth (nee Bauman).
Art will be sadly missed by his brothers Waldemar (the late Irene), Viktor (Gundi) and sisters, Jenny (the late Konrad) Schroeder and Mary (John) Albrecht, as well as many nieces, nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews.
Also fondly remembered by his sisters-in-law Annie Reimer (the late Adolf) and Mary-Lynn (Phil) Dedels.
Predeceased by his parents, David and Maria Reimer, and brothers, Rudolph (the late Herta) and Adolf.

Art was born in the village of Kronau, Ukraine on September 22, 1942. A short time later, the family escaped the Communists and eventually made their way to Germany. From there, they travelled by ship, the Volendam, to Buenos Aires after which the family settled in the village of Lichschterfeld, a Mennonite colony in central Paraguay, where he enjoyed exploring the jungle with his brother Viktor and tending the many fruit trees planted by his father. In 1955, the family emigrated to Canada and settled in Kitchener, Ontario.

Art had a long successful career in insurance, beginning at Economical Mutual, and moving on to the Cooperators in Guelph. He later became Manager of Dufferin Mutual in Shelburne, Ontario, a position he held for over 15 years. Art also served on, and was Chairman of the Board for many organizations through the years.

Art was a long time member of the Lion's Club. He joined the Shelburne Club in 1975, becoming a charter member and later President. Upon moving to Waterloo, he joined the Waterloo Lions Club, where he held numerous offices prior to becoming President of that club. He later joined the KW Community Spirit Lions, eventually becoming President of that club as well. Art was the recipient of numerous Lions awards, including the Helen Keller Fellowship Award and the Bruce Murray International Youth Camp Fellowship Award. Art also received the Dog Guides Life Membership Award. One of Art's greatest joys was cooking for various clubs and organizations, as well as preparing meals for the Youth Exchange Camp for 20 years.

Art enjoyed entertaining and travelling. One of his many passions was preparing gourmet meals for his wife and many family members and friends. He was also an enthusiastic coin collector. His favourite passion was dancing. He met his wife Sharon in 1965 while attending a dance at the Concordia Club. Over the years, he and Sharon travelled extensively or cruised to several countries and met many new friends along the way. One of his special places was Sanibel Island in Florida, where he enjoyed collecting seashells and walking the beach. Art also loved his animals, having many special "fur babies" over the years. After his retirement, he enjoyed socializing with his “coffee buddies” at McDonald's. Art will be especially remembered by everyone for his sense of humour, his joyful laugh and wonderful stories.

Art will be dearly missed by his wife, as well as many family members and friends.

A special thanks to Dr. Yew, nurses Laura, Alison and Amanda as well as other staff from Care Partners and everyone at Innisfree House for the wonderful care and kindness shown to Art.

Art's family will receive relatives and friends from 2-4 and 6:30-8pm on Monday, August 24th, 2020 at the Henry Walser Funeral Home, 507 Frederick Street, Kitchener, 519-749-8467. Guests are required to RSVP to attend Art's visitation and face masks are mandatory. Cremation has taken place.

As expressions of sympathy, donations to the Lions Foundation of Canada - Dog Guides or The Mennonite Central Committee would be appreciated by the family (cards available at the funeral home).
FAYEEMEADOWS

Re: Lion Art Reimer, K-W Community Spirit Lions Club

Post by FAYEEMEADOWS »

I did not have the opportunity to share with Lion Art how he had impacted me at the KW Community Spirit Lions Club. I was a new member, and on the few occasions that Art was able to attend meetings, I experienced him as one of the kindest and gentle man that I had met over the years. I will miss his lovely smile. Faye Meadows.
tdr-a15
Site Admin

Re: Lion Art Reimer, K-W Community Spirit Lions Club

Post by tdr-a15 »

I, too, have known Lion Art for many years. He was a consummate chef, as was proved at many a Christmas and other dinner served at the "TreeTops".

Indeed, he will be missed.

Lion Ted